Recently I’ve been trying to find skills that I’m naturally gifted at instead of those that I have a desire/passion for. Just as a personal pet experiment for myself. I arrived at a very large question that’s been eating at me for a while.
How the hell do I know if I’m good at something?
So I made a list of ideas. I like making lists. That’s one thing I’m good at.
- Other people tell you that you’re good at it
- There are ways to quantify your ability
- Binary Example: Code – does it work or crash/burn?
- Scoring System: MCAT/SAT/ACT/Etc.
- Sensory Perceptions of quality
- Taste – You cook dogshit food and 1 year later after practicing it tastes amazing
- See – You’re painting a picture of a man’s face, it looks like a lumpy mess. 1 year later it’s almost lifelike.
- Professional or Self help
- Getting evaluated by a professional
- Reading self help books (like the Gallup book I picked up in this post)
- Haven’t gone through the book yet, will let you guys know if anything sticks
- Any other ideas?
Today’s post is kind of short, since I didn’t sleep at all last night. I am in the middle of a political decision that may influence my livelihood for the next 2-3Y. I have to put all of my effort right now into navigating this situation correctly.